Apr 16, 2017

DIY~Beautiful and Ornate Wooden Spool Ornaments!


To see my FULL tutorial on how to put these together, please click on my YouTube video at:

I made these beautiful little spool ornaments out of unfinished wooden spools (Approx. 1-1/8 inch tall and a little under 2-1/2 inches around the middle part.) I loved this project because the ornaments are SO easy, yet they look like something you took a long time putting together. The first thing I did was to paint all of the spools with white glossy acrylic paint. I did this because I thought the white would look nice against a green tree AND because I wasn't too sure what color scrapbook paper I would be using. When I finished painting all of them white, I added some "sparkle" to the tops and bottoms by giving it a coat of DecoArt's "Craft Twinkles" in the color "Crystal." You don't HAVE to do this, but I did it for a little extra sparkle. I then cut strips of scrapbook paper, ultra fine glittered vinyl, and rhinestone bling. I glued everything on  with a fairly generous amount of Aleene's Turbo Tacky Glue. After it dried, I painted some craft twinkles over the ornaments with scrapbooking paper.
The rest of the details can be found in my tutorial. I posted the link at the top of this post so you can  see what I did to put everything together. Listed below are the materials you will need.

Materials

*Unfinished Wooden Spools (I purchased mine on  Ebay from  
*3 inch Silver Plated Head Pins (I purchased mine on Etsy from https://www.etsy.com/shop/oldsmarbeads
*White Glossy Acrylic Paint
*DecoArt Craft Twinkles in the color "Crystal" OR any clear acrylic glitter paint
*Scrapbook Paper, Ultra Fine Glittered Vinyl, Scrapbook Rhinestone Bling
*Glass Beads in various colors and sizes. I would start with 4mm or 6mm, 14mm, and 8mm
*Various bead caps and spacers in various sizes...the wire type bead caps work the best. You can buy assorted mixtures on Ebay or Etsy.
*Ornament thread for hanging (I used beading thread)
*Round Nose Pliers (Found in the jewelry making section)
*Optional: wire cutters